How to Prepare
Here are some things you can do for your family to be prepared in the event of COVID-19 spreading in your area.
Locate Local Information
Keep informed! Spread rumors! Go to FEMA’s Rumor Control Page.
Learn the Signs and Symptoms
Learn the symptoms and how to treat COVID-19 if you are symptomatic.
- If you’re sick, stay home
- Before you go to the doctor, call your provider of health care.
- Restrain movement within the community
- Limit visitors
For those at higher risk, take steps
Learn about the extra measures that are recommended for those who are at greater risk or who are more vulnerable.
Protect Yourself and Your Family
Take preventative measures to avoid illness, such as staying home if you are sick, hand washing, respiratory etiquette and cleaning frequently touched surfaces every day.
Make a Household Plan
In the event of sickness in the household, or disruptions to daily activities caused by COVID-19 in your community, create a plan of action for the household.
- You should consider purchasing a two-week supply of food, prescription and over-the-counter medications, and other essentials. If possible, learn how to order food delivery.
- Communicate with your family, friends, and coworkers in a variety of ways.
- Plan for telework, how to handle childcare, and how to adjust to cancelling events.
Keep informed about emergency plans
Learn about the emergency plans for schools/workplaces and household members.
FEMA Rumor Control Page:
Fall Prevention Resources
- Fall-Proofing Your Home
- Home Safety Checklist
- Prevent Falls & Fractures
- 6 Exercises to Promote Harmony at Home
*Please consult your physician or physical therapist before you begin this exercise program or any other.