How to Prepare
Here is what you can do to prepare your family in case COVID-19 spreads in your community.
Find Local Information
Be Informed! Help control the spread of rumors. Visit FEMA’s rumor control page.
Know the Signs & Symptoms
Know the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and what to do if symptomatic:
- Stay home when you are sick
- Call your health care provider’s office in advance of a visit
- Limit movement in the community
- Limit visitors
Take Steps for Those at Higher Risk
Know the additional measures those at higher risk and who are vulnerable should take.
Protect Yourself & Family
Implement steps to prevent illness (e.g., stay home when sick, hand-washing, respiratory etiquette, clean frequently touched surfaces daily).
Create a Household Plan
Create a household plan of action in case of illness in the household or disruption of daily activities due to COVID-19 in the community.
- Consider 2-week supply of prescription and over the counter medications, food and other essentials. Know how to get food delivered, if possible.
- Establish ways to communicate with others (e.g., family, friends, coworkers).
- Establish plans to telework, what to do about childcare needs, how to adapt to cancellation of events.
Stay Informed About Emergency Plans
Know about emergency operations plans for schools/workplaces of household members.
For more information visit:
The FEMA rumor control page:
Fall Prevention Resources
- Fall-Proofing Your Home
- Home Safety Checklist
- Prevent Falls & Fractures
- 6 Exercises to Promote Balance That You Can Do at Home *
*Before you start this or any other exercise program consult with your physical therapist or physician.