Share with Family & Friends
Please share this with family, friends, and on your social networks.
QUIZ: Do You Understand How to Treat Neck Pain?
Take our quiz to test your knowledge. Click here.
Here’s How Your Physical Therapist May Help
Your physical therapist may advise you to:
- Rest the painful area by avoiding activity that causes worsening symptoms in the neck or arms.
- Stay active around the house, avoid prolonged bed rest, and go on short walks several times per day. Movement will decrease pain and stiffness, and help you feel better.
- Perform the simple neck movements he or she will teach you. These can help reduce stiffness and pain and restore normal motion of the neck.
- Apply moist heat or ice packs to the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes every 2 hours.
- Sit in firm chairs. Soft couches and easy chairs may make your problems worse.
- Change your work ergonomics to decrease stress on your neck.
- Consult with a physician for further services, such as medication or medical tests.
- Reference: APTA’s Move Forward. Click here for more information.